
I have been thinking a lot lately about money. A little about how are we going to be able to get all the stuff we have yet to purchase but more about how we really can do without it. I realize how much can be cut from our budgets if we just take a few extra steps. Programming a thermostat, putting plastic sheeting over the windows to help insulate, and more. As I have been finding ways to save money and trim our budget, I have found myself thinking of a part of the song from Montgomery Gentry "Something to Be Proud Of"
"That's something to be proud of.
That's a life you can hang your hat on.
You don't need to make a million,
Just be thankful to be working.
If your doing what you're able,
And puttin' food there on the table,
And providing for the family that you love,
That's something to be proud of."
I find myself, even though my hours have been cut and times are hard, thanking the Lord everynight that I am employed and that Mike has a job as well. I think that America as a whole is starting to switch their attitude and it makes me so HAPPY! That is right, even with the added stress that comes from lower income, I am HAPPIER! The focus is not so much on material things.
Mike and I never were huge on spending a lot of money to go to movies, etc. But now, We are not the only ones who have not seen the latest and greatest movie until it is at Redbox, or even on TV. I love that more of our friends are willing to just get together for dessert and board games, where as before they always just wanted to meet up for dinner.
We are living such more fulfilling lives with a lot less money and it is GREAT!
Friends share deals they find as their status on facebook to help others save money. We are PROUD to be Crazy Coupon Ladies! We are cooking at home more- and be healthier in the process! People are keeping in touch with loved ones, planning family outings that don't cost an arm and a leg! Camping is on the rise! I used to be able to book our favorite campsite just a week before we went, now it is booked 8 months in advance!
How wonderful it is that we are all taking joy in a much SIMPLER life! I have often looked at this recession and been able to see the pride cycle in process. The humbleness of this country now is AMAZING! I hope everyone is able to find such JOY during this time and enjoy time with family and friends around the table, playing games, sharing stories and eating a dessert. I know we LOVE IT in our home.
No comments:
Post a Comment